Michelin Chef's Galette des rois recipe using Le Fermier!
The Galette des rois, otherwise known as Three Kings Cake is a French cake shared to celebrate 'Epiphany', which is tomorrow! It's usually made from puff pastry filled with frangipane, sometimes we also hide a fève (charm) inside - whoever finds the fève in their piece of cake is the King or Queen for the day!
Here I'm going to show you how I make mine!
The ingredients are:
* 150 g butter, softened
* 150 g almond meal
* 80 g Calvados blend
* 3 whole eggs
* 2 sheets puff pastry
1. Preheat your oven at 200 degrees Celsius
2. In a mixing bowl whisk the softened butter and Calvados blend together until creamy.
3. Add the eggs one by one, mix in the egg before adding the next one.
4. Add the almond meal and mix until combined.
5. Cut 2 circle of pastry using a dinner plate.
6. Place one circle on a baking tray lined with baking paper, spread the mixture evenly then spread the cherries around.
7. Place the second circle on top , wet the edges with a bit of water to help it stick and press the edges. Using a knife gently draw a pattern on top but don’t cut all the way.
8. Brush the top with an egg yolk mixed in with a bit of water, place in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
9. Bake in the hot oven for about 35 minutes until golden on top